Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Texas Blueberry Cobbler

I'm trusting Cook's Country on the Texas part, as I've only visited once and didn't eat anything exciting. It's really a casual blueberry cake.

There's a heat wave in Maryland, so I'm baking this late at night. If it's good enough, the family won't even know about it.

I preheated the oven to 350 Fahrenheit.

I'm using a glass 9 by 13 dish, but cautiously. Consumer Reports has stated that modern Pyrex is a lot less safe than the old stuff. Pyrex used to make borosilicate glass, which is very tough. Not anymore :-) It can break after setting it down on a counter or stove, so I'm taking the recipe's advice an setting it on a wire rack at all times.

I put 4 tablespoons butter in the Pan of Exploding Glass, and put it in the oven to melt.

The recipe called for mixing ¼ cup sugar with lemon zest which I don't have. I do have lemon oil and lemon extract, and I decide to use the extract.

I add 1 tablespoon lemon sugar to 3 cups blueberries, and mash them coarsely. I'm not sure I could mash them any other way, but coarsely is what's called for here.

In a bowl, I mixed 7½ ounces all-purpose flour (1½ cups), 1¼ cups sugar, 2½ teaspoons baking powder, and ¾ teaspoon table salt. I then whisked in 8 tablespoons melted butter and 1½ cups milk. A cake without a mixer! At least I won't wake anyone up.

I removed the pan and butter from the oven and put it on my cooling rack. I poured in the batter, and dolloped over the blueberries.

The cake looked a little sad, so I gave it a swirl with a butter knife, like I was marbling a topping. I made zigzags one direction, the more zigzags perpindicular to the first set.

I sprinkled the lemon sugar over the cake, and gingerly put it in the oven.

45 minutes later, I'm not sure what happened to my pretty swirling. It looks good though, and I am saddened by the 30 minute cooling time.

Thirty-five minutes later, I am very full, and very happy. My new favorite fruit dessert!

Update: the very next day, I re-made the recipe, marbling the batter less.

It turned out MUCH more attractive and just as delicious.

 

1 comment:

  1. older is always better, right? I'm not surprised about this whole Pyrex thing; i've had a newer one break, while all my old finds remain intact. I wonder why they don't make it with that borosilicate glass anymore?
    i would LOVE this cobbler: blueberries and basically any sort of crust or cake or whatever is fine by me. looks great, melanie, even minus the pretty swirls.

    ReplyDelete